some stuff

Part one: a day in the life.

It's a typical Thursday at work. The boss and I have already gotten our coffee and croissant fix. My partner just got out of bed, taking enough time to smooth down his hair and bless me for the fresh pot of coffee before settling in to write trip reports from his busy, no-sleep night. The oxygen guy has come and gone, his long locks flowing and his music blaring. The UPS man and I have done our usual cheery exchange while juggling boxes and signatures. And, struck with a moment of inspiration, and a mind full of musings, I am at my usual post: in front of Horton (my computer) with both coffee and radio readily accessible.

That's when I get interrupted, mid thought process, by the guy with the title of "Dirty Harry." He comes strolling in to the room, his dirty hat perched on top of his dirty hair, one hand shoved in his dirty jeans and the other holding an envelope. His wide, toothless grin and squinting, watery eyes preceding the wave and "hullo." He's comfortable here, walking in as if he owns the place.

Suddenly the cheery office lady is quietly working away at her desk and my talkative partner is silent at his computer post, neither of them offering any help. I inwardly sigh and then greet Harry with a smile and a "How've you been?", prepared for the onslaught of noticeably tobacco flavored breath, crazy stories, and foul language. As long as he stays on that side of the table, I don't mind this exchanging of pleasantries and outlandish statements. This guy, after all, has 40 some years of EMS under his belt. That, coupled with a lively imagination, makes for a good break in today's mundane. So, sensing I will listen, he flops down in the chair across from me, long legs sprawled, and I settle back in mine, mentally figuring out how much I can use this as leverage with my co workers.

Taking one for the team has to be worth a coffee or ice cream or something.




* * *
part two. a smattering of thoughts.


first things first: self portrait for February. because i did not ever post it in February and now here it is, March already. i'm in there, don't judge. just look.
this is me and the Florida moon rise. my little point and shoot fujifilm doesn't do it justice, but some day i'll get me a real camera [translation: expensive, but worth it] and get a good picture.


it seems like maybe possibly my generation has taken over the blogging world by storm. maybe it's just a novelty in my circles of friends. but really. (as she then shamelessly proceeds to blog).

also. to be really successful on tv today you need to 1. be a vampire 2. have a super power 3. invade earth from your planet of higher intelligence. 4. collect strange things 5. be morbidly obese
consequently, i have been absorbing too much media. blame it on work.

you know that part where you are teaching and you are learning so much in preparation, and then sunday morning comes? and there you sit, wishing you could make them understand all that you know now, but understanding that it takes time, and patience and prayer? wishing it was easier to take these huge concepts and bring them down to their level? wondering if you are doing the best at this job you have been entrusted with, of building a solid Biblical foundation and molding little hearts and minds?
yeah. that's me every week.

but here's a really cool verse that we are memorizing:
"for you, Lord,
are good,
and ready to forgive,
and abundant in mercy
to all those who call upon you."
psalms 86:5

it's mind-blowing to think that
despite who we are and after all we've done,
God is still good.
he is still forgiving.
he is still abundant in mercy.
what wondrous love is this!

Comments

Matthew Lim said…
Aaaah. What a great lunch time read. Thanks Liz.
~Aryn said…
MMmm, good thoughts!
And I quite enjoy your stories of "The Shed"... makes me smile! ;)
miss you!
Anonymous said…
did you get an ice cream or coffee, then? :) hugs :)
Unknown said…
... not yet :) I can't wait for July to get here, Deni! :)
and Aryn! I just plain miss your face!

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: After

interruptions

nothing new [under the sun]