In the which I talk about love.

So I have now been in South Africa for a week and 4 days, and at Lambano Sanctuary for a week and 2 days  :) The good news: I am sleeping at nights now. The bad news: Sometimes I go to bed before 9:30 pm. ( blink, blink ) When in Rome, neh? (that's my excuse, anyways)


Me and L trying to keep warm at the soccer match.


I am loving words like, clever, brilliant, boot (for the trunk), robot (for the traffic light), see you now now (which means, see you any time from now til tomorrow), pram, plaster (band-aid), rubbish bin, howzit? (my new favorite lazy greeting), cheers!, neh? (which is basically thrown at the end of any questioning sentence, or commanding sentence, or whatever sentence), this one! (when scolding, tattling, whining, teasing) and the list could go on. It's a fun game to remember and use my new vocabulary. 




I am not so much loving walls and gates and locks and alarms and being stuck inside as soon as the sun sets. I am not so much loving speed bumps and instant coffee. In fact, I would prefer tea to instant coffee, which has surprised several people who perceive Americans as coffee guzzling machines (which could be accurate).


I am loving learning Rugby and listening to the daily chatter about who is playing who and who is out and who has a chance for the finals. I am loving Sprinbok jersies everywhere on everyone wherever you go. People, it is the rugby world cup. Get your game face on. 



 touch rugby with my boys at 78 in the driveway

I am not so much loving crazy taxi drivers who's goal is to kill you and everyone in their vehicle. I am not so much loving rush hour in the morning on the way to school. 


not exactly taxi drivers, but just as crazy


I am loving story time, and hug time, and lap time, and dance time, and prayer time and relationship building time. 


dance class. get your groove on.

a (rare) quiet moment at 78


I am not loving the fact that you have to pay for your grocery bags. Yeah, those plastic ones that you get for "free" when you go to Sunny's/Walmart/Target/wherever. I finally bit the bullet and went green. Cloth grocery bags, thank you! Maybe that's what it takes to save the world from death by plastic. 


I am loving the "quiet" hour to regroup and plan for the day, gossip, engage in study and discussion from the Bible, drink something hot and cozy and laugh at the constant traffic and conversation that goes on in the office. 


I am not so much loving this constant exchange:
Hello, how are you? 
Fine, thanks, and you? 
Fine.
You basically have to go through this ritual with everyone you come across before you can do whatever it is you were going to do. Mostly I like to switch things up and not even ask them how they are doing because most people will still say "fine, thanks, and you?" even if you just say "hello." Jedi mind tricks. 
Italian Job is constantly coming to mind: "fine" stands for Freaked out, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional. There is a song or a movie quote for everything. I promise. 




getting ready to play soccer. feel the love.


I am loving being called Auntie Elise, Auntie Lise, Auntie Lizard, Auntie Elizabeth or Auntie Jean. Because, apparently, Liz does not translate into South African accents. And while we are on the subject of accents, the plethora of accents around here is music to my little ears. And I am constantly getting teased for my American pronunciation of things like "hi" and "water" and um, well, anything else that catches the approx. 30 kid's fancy. Which keeps me laughing at their imitation of my accent while I try to copy theirs. Good times.



Cheering buddy. Also known as personal heater on a chilly spring day.

Comments

Samanta said…
Liz! --- I can say Liz, Yeaaaah! Love to read this and love to see your life in Africa :)
Leah said…
It amuses me greatly that you are now forced to say things like "rubbish bin", "boot" and "cheers". Welcome to my world!! I'm so glad to be all caught up (homework has kept me from the blog world) with your adventures. Those kids are just the cutest. I want to hold and cuddle each and everyone of them right now! I'm so jealous! I can't wait to see how God is going to use you there!
Unknown said…
Sammy -haha I am so glad that you can say Liz :D we need to skype sometime!

Leah: I think of you EVERY TIME i say Rubbish Bin hahahahaha... we need to see each other while you're in the states, ok? ok.
Jason and Sadie said…
You're so rude, since you should also add,
And your health?
And your family?
And your Papa?
And your Mama?
And the house?
And the children?

To your greeting. So quit whining and adjust.
Welcome! said…
I was just saying how "coffee snobs like Stephen P and Liz Johnson never drink nasty instant coffee." We were using it to make fake mcdonalds frappés the other day. So, I'm sure you think less of us now.;)

Praying for you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Day Ever

Five Minute Friday: After

interruptions