Dustin

I remember when my class and I were getting ready to graduate from Bible school. We were a tight group of students, and the thought of impending, "permanent" separation was causing a little bit of anxiety and sadness. I remember writing something in my journal about a couple of classmates to the effect of wishing I could keep them in my back pocket because of their ability to make me die laughing, take me outside my comfort zone, and generally cause life to be much more enjoyable. One of those people was Dustin DeFord. 




Today, June 30, marks four years since the fire in Arizona that took his life. 

I remember the last time I saw him as he drove to his new hotshot job with the Granite Mountain Hotshots. He showed up unexpectedly with an incredible amount of belongings both inside and outside of his Jeep. He explained his bald head and bushy facial hair, "I have to be clean shaven for my job". #classic 



We only got to visit for a short time before he headed on down the road. I regret not giving him a hug that he would have made a big deal about, or would have begrudgingly cooperated with. 

The last texting conversation I had with him was about an old tree he was supposed to save during a fire... so he peed on it ;) 

And then, one warm, unforgettable night, the news of the fire that took Dustin and his crew's lives came through texts and calls and not wanting to believe what we heard.  



Since then, there have been innumerable times that my friends and I have gathered or visited and have missed all that made Dustin, Dustin. I know he is in the presence of his Savior, rejoicing and worshipping. I know he doesn't take the time to "look down from heaven" or "watch over" me, but I still would tell him if I could:

Dustin, I miss road trips and car dances, I miss your facial hair and ridiculous faces, I miss your compassionate heart and passion for life, I miss giving you crap about being a firefighter, I miss singing with you, I miss laughing at you, and most of all, I miss your laughter. I can't wait to be worshipping in heaven with you. What a glorious day! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: After

nothing new [under the sun]

The Best Day Ever