crushes.



People, it has been a month since I left Joburg and I wish these pictures could come alive for you and you could hear the voices and and laughter and could feel the hugs and kisses and could smell the smells and hear and just BE. Shoot, I wish I could do all of the above.  I said goodbye to my brother and his new wife as they went back to Moz on Tuesday... and I wanted nothing more than to sneak in with them and be dropped of at OR Tambo....



note: it's small and the pictures go fast. sorry. just means you have to watch it multiple times :) 


In other news, I a.Dore these people. The holidays were a grand thing with the all the sibs together (minus the Peter. lame sauce). Lots and lots of driving back and forth for me. Lots and lots of lost sleep.... but totally worth it :) Have I mentioned that these are some of my best friends and heroes? Legit. And as usual, we overdosed on coffee and "discussions" and stayed up to the wee sma's talking and laughing and playing games and generally just reveling in the fact that we were together. gah! I just looooooove them! 










I FINALLY got back into reading while I was in South Africa... and then immediately broke that habit as soon as I got on the plane back to the States.... fail. But here's the book list:



  • Emma -I know, I KNOW... why did it take me this long to read that book? because. I have no good excuse, but I can say that it was the wrong choice for getting back in the groove. I love character development, but the plot was a leetle toooo slow for my 21 century attention span. ;) 
  • The Knowledge of the Holy -just a superb reread. Love it. 
  • The Robe -again.. a reread, but I loved the different perspective that it gives on the life of Christ through the eyes of the man who crucified him. 
  • Peace Child -saw the movie back in the day and was scarred, but I am a fan of autobiographies and this was a story worth reading. Loved the reminder of what it meant for Christ to come as our "peace child."
  • Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness -I have been WAITING for this book and when I saw it on a shelf at CNA, I knew I could not leave it there.... My sister introduced me to Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight, which is an autobiography about Alexandra Fuller's childhood in Africa and the decline of her mother's sanity. Cocktail Hour is the story of her parents making a life on the great continent of Africa and consequently dealing with hardship after hardship. I am in love with these books. 
  • The Kite Runner: horrible and devastating and fantastic. Not for somebody who wants a happily ever after story, but I like it for its brutal honesty about consequences and its perspective of Muslim culture. Khaled Hosseini is a great story teller and there were many moments where I forgot that this is a fiction book. 
  • The Bride Collector -because who doesn't love a little Ted Dekker? 
  • Currently finishing Erasing Hell by Francis Chan. Which I started on South African airlines while grounded in Dakar. Yes. fail. 
SO. Any good reads lately? Any suggestions? Give me a holla :) 

Ps, stay tuned for the music crushes of 2011. 

Comments

Jason and Sadie said…
Way to not fail on getting your craft project done right away!

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: After

interruptions

nothing new [under the sun]