National Law Enforcement Week

Just a little shout out to the man I call my husband (well, he is literally my husband, I don't just call him that ;) ).



Here is to my hard-working husband who is willing to go above and beyond to do his best and be the best LEO that he can be. Sometimes this means that I get annoyed at him for working extra hours he doesn't technically have to work, but he does it because it's the right thing to do -and that integrity is part of the reason I married him in the first place.

Here is to the countless times that he has resolved situations with homicidal/suicidal people so that everyone was able to leave alive. I have just a tiny handful of times that I remember him telling me "I almost had to shoot someone today". I know there's more times that he has never shared with me.

Here's to the times he has gone to buy food/diapers/formula, the times he has gotten off shift and gone to wait with kids who have to be put in the foster system because he has a big and caring heart.

Here's to my husband who more than patiently listens while yet another person tells their "bad cop" experience, or about the one time they got pulled over, or bashes on one of his work partners or asks a "law enforcement" question (i.e. "how can I get away with what I know is wrong").

Here's to how he continues on doing his thankless job despite all of the dark and hurtful and hateful things that people spew to his face or in the media.

Here's to all the hurt and brokenness and death that he has had to witness as a constant barrage, the things he shares, the things he holds inside, the things that have forever imprinted themselves into his being -the smells, the sounds, the places -and how they resurface at unexpected times.

Here's to how he cares a lot about the children and youth of our community and works hard to build those relationships despite the adults who want to use him as the "bad guy" (i.e. behave or that police officer is going to come take you away).

Here's to never really being off duty and the constant phone calls and emails and text messages that mean that his mind is constantly still working to one extent or another.

Here's to the hours of training and classes he puts in because he cares about being the best.

Here's to all the missed sleep and meal times and weird hours and showing up to important events in uniform.

Here's to constantly fighting over the "best" seat at a restaurant (I always have to sit with my back to the door, just FYI). 

Here's to how he keeps showing up even when he's over the romance and fuzzy feelings and at the end of his patience -because part of who he is is a protector, defender and servant. 

Here's to the guy who tells me he loves me and promises to be safe before every shift, even though we both know that the unexpected and out-of-control situation could happen that would mean he would never walk back through our door.

And here's to all of the other LEO's I know that fit this description (and I am proud to know a lot of them). Here's to their families who are also constantly sacrificing and supporting. 
I see you. I’m with you. I’m thankful for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: After

The Best Day Ever

interruptions