On grief.

Incase you were wondering, I still am not a huge fan of that ol' change business. I don't care if it's a life-direction change or a friend-moving change or a person-I-love-died change. It's not my favorite thing. 

"With any change comes loss and all loss needs to be grieved." 

Grief is such a weird and hard and (sometimes) beautiful place to be in. While you are the one walking through your grief, it can be dark and hopeless and such a rollercoaster of emotions. If you are the one walking with someone else in their grief, it can be weird and awkward and uncomfortable. 

I was listening to a podcast about walking with students during grief. It really pinpointed my inclination to put clarifiers or permissions on other people's ability to grieve in whatever situations. I want to look at other people grieving what I deem a trivial loss and scoff. "You don't know what real loss is." 
I think we see this exacerbated in social media. There is a tendency to measure tragedy against tragedy, without allowing them to just be tragic. We get so caught up in using a world tragedy for our own agendas or pats on the back that we don't allow it to just be a moment to grieve, to see it and let it break our hearts. 

"With any change comes loss and all loss needs to be grieved." 

This is a reminder to me to allow myself to grieve a loss -and to allow others to grieve their losses, even if it seems trivial from the outside. 



This picture of my mom's piano sitting in our (mostly) empty house is such a reminder to me of the deep sorrow and immeasurable beauty that can come from change/loss. That season was hard and painful (it still is at times), but also so full of hope and grace. We were able to grow closer together as a family and see how the body of Christ came together to comfort and bless and encourage us and each other. We know that as my dad liked to quote, "Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it." God is faithful. He keeps his promises. Always. And he is using this circumstance for my good and his glory.  

I might be guilty of over-posting this song, but SorrynotSorry. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: After

nothing new [under the sun]

Summer Lovin'